Pomodoro col Riso | Italian Stuffed Tomato Recipe
Watch the Pasta Grammar video where we make this recipe here:
For this recipe, you will need:
- 1 large ripe tomato
- 3-4 leaves fresh basil, torn into small pieces
- 3-4 leaves fresh mint, torn into small pieces
- 1 garlic clove, peeled and diced
- 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil, plus extra for drizzling
- Fresh black pepper
- 1 heaping spoonful of carnaroli rice
- 1 large russet potato, peeled and cubed
Preheat an oven to 370 degrees F (185 C).
Slice the very top of the tomato off, setting it aside for later. Use a spoon to scoop out the inside of the tomato, leaving enough flesh to keep the shel intact. Place the tomato "meat" in a small bowl and mash into a pulp. Set 1/3 of this pulp aside for later.
Into the remaining pulp, add the basil, mint, garlic, 2 tbsp olive oil, rice, and a pinch each of salt and pepper. Spoon this mixture into the tomato and close with the top.
Spread the cubed potatoes in the bottom of a small casserole or meatloaf dish. Drizzle the set aside tomato pulp and some olive oil over them. Finally, add a generous sprinkle of salt and mix thoroughly.
Nestle the tomato in the middle of the potatoes. Bake for 50 minutes. Serve warm. Buon appetito!